Studying abroad is a highly coveted opportunity. A Survey by Synovate carried out in 2011 determined that about 57% of Kenyans prefer send their children abroad for their higher studies while the remaining 43% prefer to study in Kenyan universities. Kenya is just one of the many countries whose population has a strong desire to study abroad. Foreign universities are seen as attractive as a result of a perception of prestige and high quality education due to better funding. However, that is not to say that it is all smooth sailing for those who get the chance to study abroad. Due to the cultural differences and the high costs of living in most foreign countries, not to mention unfavourable currency exchange rates, most students may find themselves having a difficult time adjusting to their new lives, especially if they are all by themselves in the new country. Nevertheless, studying abroad is a beneficial experience. My friend, the wonderful Elma Ooro, is currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Acoustic Engineering from the University of Salford, Manchester, U.K. and was kind enough to let us know of some of the challenges one may face as an international student in the U.K.
Farhana Oberson is a 23-year old Kenyan YouTuber based in Mombasa. She is a travel vlogger, and she uses her YouTube channel to showcase places she has travelled to, both within and without Kenya. Her channel boasts of over 15,000 subscribers and over 1 million views. Her captivating videos have won her recognition such as the 2017 OLX Soma award in the YouTube channel category, and her fan base - the Rafiki Squad - has been growing drastically. Last week, I got the chance to interview Farhana and I can tell you that she is one of the kindest people you will ever meet.
Today, women are better off than they were a couple of decades back when their roles and rights were limited. Before women could not vote, could not participate in the corporate world, and could not own property. Although a few countries like Saudi Arabia are lagging behind on women's rights, women are better off now than they were before. Today women rule states, lead the corporate world, and excel in their chosen professional fields. However, we still have a long way to go as acts of violence such as rape, child marriage, and domestic abuse persist in our society. These are overt acts of violence that must be resisted and fought off by all means necessary. Still there is a silent type of oppression that women face in the form of modern patriarchy. This blog post is inspired by a reading from one of my classes: Focault, Femininity, and the Modernization of Patriarchal Power by Sandra Bartky. Any italicized words in this article are direct quotations from her article.